| From 100927 |
I know I’m in Spain and should avoid places like the “bucks,” but my “café latte con avellana sin azucar” was fantastic!! And I did give the local café a shot to make a hazelnut latte which was a poor excuse for warm deliciousness.
I forgot to bring my earplugs with me (which are a must for me when trying to concentrate in public places or at the Habitat office :)) but I found that not knowing the language being spoken around me is similarly quieting. I perked up a few times when I understood things and I AM excited for the day that I WILL need earplugs.
My Spanish is getting better!! I’m still translating in my head and today I made a complete ass out of myself in class when the teacher was asking me a question, which I will say I still don’t understand which part I wasn’t answering correctly.
In class I am known as the “Mujer from California” which according to my professor when he coined it naturally meant I drank wine. So far when words or phrases associated with drinking like botella (bottle) and borracho (drunk) come up I’ve been a go-to for insight. Our professor sort of has similar jokes with everyone.
It did not help my case when the teacher was explaining the difference between - Estoy borracho (I’m drunk) and Soy borracho (I’m a drunkard). Afterwards he asked where the Mujer from California was and asked me in Spanish “How many drinks until (someone) is (considered) a drunkard?”
I responded “days per year?” and he said sure.
So I thought about it and figured you’re probably safe 1 day a week; 2 days well that’s a weekend safe too I guess; throw in another week day for good measure…in conclusion any person who is drinking more than 3 days every week in a year is a drunkard. So I said dos cien (200) because I knew that without translating (150).
The class laughed. The professor was asking me “How many days do I drink a year?”
Just great…
No comments:
Post a Comment