Sunday, October 17, 2010

Una fiesta al año no hace daño

Last night our Spanish professor Jesus Milla hosted our entire Spanish class in his home for an end of Spanish party he called “Una fiesta al año no hace daño” (a party a year does not hurt). Everyone was told to bring a dish to contribute and Kundan and I headed over carrying bags of contributions, mainly Kundan’s offering of ten pounds of his Indian rice dish with yogurt dressing. Everyone’s food was delicious, especially a Korean meat dish that my classmate Claire brought. I told her I will have her over for a cooking lesson.

After we arrived Kundan got to work reheating his meal. The teacher had asked him to bring this specific dish because a few weeks back Kundan had a couple of our classmates over for dinner and they told the professor that it made them cry it was so spicy. Kundan told the class he brought one suitcase just of spices. He wasn’t making that up, I re-organized our kitchen. While in school, I promise at some point to write a business plan for starting a cleaning/organizational business.

Everyone wanted to try Kundan’s dish. As it was being heated, the smell filled the whole apartment with wonderful Indian spices. When it was ready to be served, most of the party had a hand with a plate extended over the island waiting for their serving. It was (cough) spicy. He said he toned it down, he said to add the yogurt dressing to reduce the heat. That made it worse for me, it was now in a liquid form and let the devastation begin. From what I gathered, everyone that could handle the heat loved it. Thankfully Mandy relieved me of the rest of my plate. I moved quickly onto other things to resurrect my taste buds, bringing me to "puppy chow," a golden graham chocolate and peanut butter deliciousness.

At this rate, the Madrid 10 will be here before Kundan can say “Can I make you a sandwich?” Also my face is expressing its disgust with me. At first I thought I had hives or a rash or something. My face broke out almost overnight. I thought it might be the smoke but my friend informed me that it's more likely alcohol. I think (genetically, thank you mom!) I’ve had (undeservingly) nice skin, and I am breaking out like I have never seen my face break out. It’s a hurting time for me right now.

My classmate Gili introduced me to her girlfriend Shirley, (pronounced S-CHU-irley) and I botched the Israeli accent. I told Gili in class that I love when she speaks because her accent is so beautiful to me. Certain pronunciations come from the back of their mouth like a “HHHHHHHUUUUUUUUUUUU.” When I repeated Shirley’s name, I failed. They said “it’s like ‘Shirley’ with a ‘HUUUU’” I tried, failed again and said “well I know a Shirley (P) and I think she’s pretty special too” so they let me get away with calling her "Shirley" with a "CHHHHUUURRR."

There are so many people and groups that I want to hang out with and get to know better but haven't yet had good opportunities. So I asked Gili and Shirley when they were going to have a house warming party. They kind of laughed but wouldn’t you know they took me up on it with the expectation that everyone help clean up afterwards!

I asked how many people they wanted to invite they said 20, which later became 30. I picked up a pen and as we brainstormed the guest list over the course of the party and I kept tally on my hand. We picked the date “four Fridays from today,” Gili told me that I should bring my red onion dish, done. She said no meat dishes (she’s vegetarian) “not one animal will be served in your home.” She wanted to know what the entertainment would be, I told her karaoke (Lorne and Verity are in the market right now), she said what else, and I said…”I’ve got a game I’ll bring…” they said they loved the game “Would you rather…?” I don't own that but I said I’d make up a “Would you rather” set of cards and bring them.

I didn’t know but behind the scenes my roommate Kundan was having a “global drinking” experience. Many of our classmates brought alcohol from their countries and Kundan was taking his turn when the bottles were going around. I did not participate because my face washing routine just went for 2 minutes to 32 minutes as I nightly counterattack trying to win the battle called reverse the effects of alcohol = acne. The vanity…

Well, Kundan had too much to drink and spent part of his evening on Jesus’ terrace away from the party and monitored by other classmates. I do not win the roommate of the year award but Erick, Mandy, Lee and I walked Kundan out and I walked us the rest of the way home. I made him drink water, put a jug of water on his night stand and made sure his shoes were off. Kundan’s wife is flying in today (Sunday) and I didn’t want him to feel like crap and / or I didn’t want her to be mad at him for being hung over.

This morning when Kundan got up he told me he was having a “global hang over.” I woke up this morning with 30 tally marks on my hand. I can't wait for four Fridays from today!

From 101016
Jesus and classmates, Kundan front and center in his most popular shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment