Friday, December 3, 2010

My first visitors!

Jimmy and Cathy, family from San Francisco were in town! They ended their European-hopping vacation in Madrid (lucky me!) I was able to catch them Thursday night! They were staying at the Casa de Madrid, an 18th century "boutique guesthouse" in the Plaza Opera. Cathy was telling me the owner of the home, an older woman, decided to rent out five of the rooms, which she's decorated in a different theme, for example Jimmy and Cathy’s was the “leaf room” and they had a private sitting parlor just outside their door that was study-esque with stacked books (to the ceiling!). The owner also displayed many of her collected treasures from around the world: paintings, statues, trinkets and furniture throughout the home. There was something everywhere you looked but you'll see it was done very tastefully. I won't be able to do the home justice describing its many beautiful things, but I took photos!

We took our time catching up in the sitting room before bundling up and heading for a walk around Madrid. First stop Mercado de San Miguel, a favorite! After walking into the covered market I embarrassed myself when I approached a meat vendor and mistook a newly served plate of jamon for a sample plate. After putting the piece in my mouth the gentleman next to me said he’d purchased it for him and his friends. Oh man! We enjoyed the food and drink we did purchase: tortilla, gambas (shrimp), seafood with colorful chopped peppers, croquettas and vino tinto! We ended the night on an extended walk around Sol, Grand Via, Calle Atocha, back to Sol and Cathy had to point out to Jimmy and me that it was snowing!

From 101202
Us at Sol!

A little sliver of home came just at the right time!

No comments:

Post a Comment