Saturday, May 28, 2011

IE Global Village

IE holds an annual “Global Village” where all national clubs host booths and serve their country’s traditional food and drink.

I appreciated quite a few of the booths for their creativity and resourcefulness. Italy gave out informational DVD promoting a "watch this and you’ll know where you want to travel next in our fine country." Colombia found a company to raffle a 2-night stay in a Fuencarral luxury hotel (in Colombia). The Georgian embassy sent over four 8 foot tall billboards displaying the best Georgia has to offer. Israel filled squirt guns with Ouzo and had flags on their toothpicks. Lebanon made falafel sandwiches and distributed shots of 100 proof alcohol. I didn’t have a strong desire to know what it’s like to experience an exorcism that day so I didn’t partake in the shot but I appreciated the falafel. Japan brought a traditional mochi maker and a sumo fat suit. They roped a circle off on the lawn and wrestled each other. Nadia said many appeared to go the safe route of sticking to the stereotypes.

The United States of America served watermelon, PB & J sandwiches, hot wings and chili. South America represented with some of my favorite foods / drinks and were all mostly in futbol jerseys. Ireland had their patriotic winners: Baileys and Guinness served with Irish Salmon and cheese on bread, which was strikingly like a dish my brother ordered when my family traveled there 7-ish years ago. My Mexican classmates found a restaraunt to sponsor their table. These caterers served appetizers including taquitos and Coronalitas. I found it hysterical this group outsourced their booth. (I was a little bit impressed too.) England dressed in Wimbledon tennis outfits and mixed Pimm’s teas under a tent decorated with William and Kate wedding photos on the British flag. Spain incorporated their authentic jamon and croquetas with Oscar Meyer sponsored hotdogs, excuse me “perritos calientes.”

Almost all the booths also hired performers. The Korean classmates took taekwondo lessons and then performed with the larger company from the studio. There were children to older performers alongside our Korean classmates. Japan sang a love song…I’ll be honest, I didn’t quite understand the cultural significance. India performed a “Bollywood” dance. The entire Lebanon club joined the belly dancer they hired on stage. At times it felt inappropriate to watch. Peru had two performers who danced their traditional (napkin?) dance. Mexico hired a mariachi band and sprayed tequila into the crowd. Colombia just can do no wrong in my eyes, classmates danced on stage to a traditional band. Brazil had a band come and hired two dancers who performed the capoeira, their cultural fighting dance, which was outstanding.

Global Village was a success in my eyes; maybe with one negative externality: I’m sure people were throwing up the world that evening.

110527

No comments:

Post a Comment